Sunday, January 16, 2011

Getting started...

I have been inspired by all of the blogs out there written by other people building with Ryan, so I thought I would give my own a try!

My husband and I are building a Savoy with Ryan Homes and are very excited to get started!
We are building in the South Hills of Pittsburgh, in an area just about as close as you can get to the city without actually living in the city! We are about 10 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh and most major shopping/entertainment centers - it's a great location!

We actually started this process back in September, but had a minor bump in the process. We were all set to go with groundbreaking for a Fox Chapel on a great lot on a cul-de-sac in late November/early December when we got a call right before Thanksgiving that the house we had chosen could not be built on the lot we had picked!

We were devastated and almost backed out because we did not like any of the other houses being offered in the plan. After some negotiating and looking at a lot of other house types, we were able to choose a house outside of the ones listed for the plan that would fit on our lot. The Savoy is very similar to the Fox Chapel in room size and layout on the first and second floors, but has a much larger basement because the garage is attached, and not integral. We really fell in love with the Fox Chapel and had been to see the model many times, but I think we will be just as happy with the Savoy!

We've been told our groundbreaking will be this week - hopefully there are no glitches this time!

4 comments:

  1. I dont have an official groundbreaking date or time...But our PM says our foundation should be up by Thursday...Im gonna drive by tomorrow...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you started a blog! Wow, what a way to start the process - not being able to get the house you wanted. I love the Savoy and I'm sure you'll be really happy with it. We really liked the Fox Chapel too, but at the time it was more expensive than our model. Now it's $15,000 less. I'm not sure what that's about. Did Ryan do anything to make up for that HUGE mistake?
    I hope the ground breaking goes well this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, What plan are you building in? We're getting ready to build in Great Meadows in Peters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ KM - they did throw in some things for our huge inconvenience. I have to say that even though it has been frustrating at times, I feel like they are doing their best to work with us and make us happy! It is weird how the prices change over time - I think they have gone up even since we started this process.

    @SPW1174 - Congrats! We are building in Baldwin. We considered Peters, but it is just too far away from work for both of us. It is a great area!!

    ReplyDelete